Thursday, January 08, 2009

partly successful

but I don't think it quite works - partly due to the fact that the bit is a hanging cheek, and i think there's insufficient space between the top of the bit and the noseband on the bitless. someone suggested that it may be possible to attach the bit to the bitless ... not sure about that, but it might be

Worked in that I was able to get on first time with no hassle. But she didn't seem as though she was totally happy with all the stuff on her head.

I got off and removed the bit bridle and remounted (easily). with the bitless, i feel as though the entire weight of her head is in my hands! and that feels fairly dire. the odd moment when she thought about dropping her head, but only very odd moment... tried some trot, but couldn't get it (my fault again i think - reflecting on that, i need to get after her more to get more movement!).

got off and replaced the bitless with the bitted. first time of trying to remount she started to move, I moved her off smartly and then cracked my schooling whip off the ground, and then she stood whilst I mounted.

by this time she was unsettled and my thighs & bum were cold (it was back down to freezing!) and overall we weren't doing anything well at all.

So i got off again and did two circuits in hand. Just to prove to her that she CAN work nicely and CAN accept the bit and CAN work through her back into the hand.

this was all in the small arena - the main arena was in process of being resurfaced, nearly done, hope it's finished by 3 pm tomorrow as i am having another lesson.

anyway, it was more mounting practice!!!

1 comment:

cptrayes said...

" moved her off smartly and then cracked my schooling whip off the ground, and then she stood whilst I mounted."

Good!

C