Monday, January 21, 2008

we're home!

but the driving conditions! interesting how little time you really lose sticking to 50/60 mph for a lot of the way - too much spray, at one point the heavens opened seriously when i was on the outside lane of a 3 lane stretch, and all of a sudden i couldn't see my hand in front of my face, let alone where i was going. that was scary! but, still did it in 7 hours including stops, so we had a good run, avoided all the rush hour traffic round london (which was amazing, really, expected a bad time getting through the dartford tunnel but we sailed through!). and on 1/2 a tank of diesel, very impressive!

it was a "good" funeral - in that there was a huge turnout, and it was a real celebration of his life. even a singing group Jean, you would have loved them - a capella, old english folk songs I think.

1 comment:

Jean said...

How lovely for the family to celebrate his life. I bet I would have loved the music.

Our speed limit is 65 on the major highways and 55 on most other roads. Still, 7 hours of driving would have done me in completely!

Drove part of a trip back from Georgia once in that kind of rain. My friend, whose car is was, fell sound asleep after her turn at the wheel, so I didn't have an extra pair of eyes. I got the awful weather and when she drove again, it was clear as a bell. Terrible feeling, especially not knowing the roads. *shiver*