Monday, January 07, 2008

teeth

Molly had her teeth done tonight, so i just left her - not fair to have her do anything after that, she dislikes the process so much. and really, it must vibrate through their heads and give them a headache! nex appointment july.

anyway, thinking about longlining - some people say you should start off with the lines in a lower position until the horse becomes more muscled/supple/collected, then move to a higher position....

but, as jean commented on my last post, might it be better to use the position that the handler finds gets the best result, given that the horse is used to the idea of longlining anyway?

And i know own a copy of Xenophon, looking forward to reading that .. i know it can be had online to print off, but then partner would tip it out, less likely to bin an actual book! and only £5...

2 comments:

Jean said...

My big problem with the reins in the lower position is that I must move a lot more with the horse to work him correctly. With my knees that is very hard.

If you work behind the horse, the reins need to be lower so you can "channel" the hind end. But the trainers from the Spanish riding school use them high when they school in hand.

Gabriel, my trainer, uses them low and around the rump to encourage the hind end to step under. It certainly does work, but I can't quite keep up with the horse all the time when I do that.

ae said...

Have fun with Xenophon! I´m loving it! :)