Sunday, January 06, 2008

longlining

did a bit both circles and straight lines round the arena. Molly walks quite quickly and i felt i was getting towed along; not very clever that in the deep end (one end is deeper than the other!). I tried to get her to accept the contact the same way i would riding - give and take - but i don't think it's so effective on the ground, maybe because i have the long lines through the lowest ring on the surcingle?

trot circles weren't too bad - she was seeking the contact, sometimes she did some really nice work; on the other hand, sometimes she didn't. struggled to keep her right on right rein, given half a chance she was turning to go left. some of that was me. some of that was her. so to work on.

and before that? more walking, recce a slight variation on teh walk we did on christmas day, to avoid an overgrown path and 1.8 km of road work!

3 comments:

cptrayes said...

Are you trying to get fit after Christmas Claire? :-)

C

Claire said...

well, i do need to lose weight and could do with being fitter. but no, I'm not trying to get fit, I'm trying to get some work into Molly without riding her. I shan't argue with the side result of using more calories! I didn't actually want to do the walking bit....

Jean said...

Getting the right contact on the lines can be tricky. With the lines low, I can get Tucker nicely in one direction, but not so well in the other. When I put the reins up, the issue resolved. More likely my better ability to work the lines up high as that's what I'm used to.