Tuesday, January 08, 2008

the forecast

was for 60 - 70 mph winds; you could feel it really picking up as i arrived at the yard, and the horses were soaked anyway as it had just stoppped raining, so i abandoned any thought of doing anything, fed and came home.

yesterday they change dthe access to the geldings field, back to the gate where i fell. I nearly fell again on the track getting into it, and someone else did, apparently, fall later. because it's a total quagmire and the grit ends before you get to that gate on that side (not so bad the mares side). and last night one of the geldings tied himself up in the electric fence (which was on) because he was going to the gate they'd been going to and got into a panic when his owner, who couldn't see in the dark of course, hadn't realised the access had been changed. happily he's ok, but he did get a bit of a shock.

so we're all well hacked off.

someone at one of the other yards on the estate broke his leg a couple of weeks ago, because he put his foot down an open drain that they'd been complaining about for a few years. so he's suing, I'm told - it was a very serious fracture and he's a policeman...

oh, and this morning i'd finally armed myself with my head torch (you know the sort that walkers wear! so i could see where i was going. was just behind a chap with his horses, who was slightly behind hand with his morning, and he asked me to turn the light off as it was scaring his horses. hence ending up in the dark and nearly falling again, couldn't see as blake the horse i was putting out was blocking what light there was..

3 comments:

cptrayes said...

Such a pain having to do stuff in the dark. Mine are terrified of torches, they went nuts the other day when I checked on them using one.

C

Nicola said...

Thats the one saving grace of working nights I get to see the horses in daylight.
I had one of those head torches used it for 30seconds,dropped it and its never worked since...oops!

Jean said...

Ugh, doesn't sound like much fun. Disturbing to hear that a horse nearly got hurt with the gate changes. The YO needs to let people know and try to make sure the horses know as well.

Don't often have to use a flashlight at my place except to search for horses in the pasture during grass season. Then, when I do find them, they look at me as if I am some kind of glowing monster.