Thursday, October 04, 2007

lesson ... on molly

RI rang at lunchtime to say she didn't have a sound horse for me to ride - Spuddy had come up lame yesterday, and Jack colicked at a show on sunday and isn't himself yet. so we decided a leesson on Molly at mine.... well.

there's a lot of thought in that, and Molly ended up being kept in as she'd had so many tantrums she was pouring sweat!

we were working on straightness and getting her to listen. done by going straight in walk up to the corner, then bringing my hand back towards my hip to turn the corner in the corner, and so on round the arena several times, change rein and the other way ... she didn't tantrum until we got to 10 metre circle left and then she started. we had loads of spins which were very scary but I did stay on even though i gave the rein away.

the headshaking - which i thought was midges in her ears - RI says is her "stress head" - that's when she blocks, she says the only way she can get herself out of it is a spin or something of that nature.....

I can see why heather says the pelham would work in getting more acceptance, from doing these excercises with just the snaffle....

in course of keeping her moving, we did an awful lot of sideways - pretty much straight sideways, if you see what i mean - so now i know the feel of that, anyway!

RI wants me to work her that hard every night - but as i pointed out - and as she could see! by that time (we'd been on an hour) i'm left on my own, and there's limits to what I'll do when there's no one about ....

but much food for thought.

and I'll have to get up 1/2 hour earlier in the morning to turn her out ...

i'm impressed i sat those spins..... quite scary, and a fair few of them!

i've to keep my hands up (had got into the habit of keeping them down!) and my leg on.

RI did want me to kick on odd occasions, to get some movement, but I said - i thought we wanted me to keep my leg on properly! so i didn't actually kick, but did get my leg well on, it's full length .. hence of course the sideways!

anyway, we didn't arrange another lesson - it's going to be difficult with the dark nights... so i've to ring and see what we can arrange...

and lucky RI could come. turned out she was sitting waiting for me - had had to go and rescue her daughter whose car had broken down ....that was after she'd rung me!

and i owe some money, we couldn't remember what her mileage was!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uh???? Bringing your hand back towards your hip to turn a corner????? Are you sure you have the right trainer?

C

Jean said...

I think we may be talking about dealing with some naughty behaviors here. Molly certainly did try to express her own opinions about things is opposition to what your opinion was.

Interesting she chose to spin as an escape. Sounds like a lot of extra work she ended up putting in as a result. Glad you were able to sit it out.

I can understand why you might be reluctant to work her like that on your own. Not exactly the ideal ride.

I'm guessing the corner turning exercise had some purpose behind it? Getting Molly to really give to the bit? Was she refusing to turn? Interesting approach to getting straightness. Perhaps making the aids between "straight" and "turn" very clear and obvious?

A lesson on your own horse is always the best as far as I'm concerned. Think of it as a good thing. *S*