Saturday, September 01, 2007

the eyes

are very expensive.

I need two pairs of glasses. Not only do i need new reading glasses, optimised for use with the computer, but I ALSO need driving glasses... i half suspected that. so £200 later... and i have to wait 10 days, not sure i can bear the headaches.....

I think I'll be Ok with Vista .... the annoying thing is the man in the shop said it came with no software. he was wrong! Microsoft works, which has improved substantially since i first met it in Win 95; windows mail seems much better than outlook express used to be, there's a calendar and contacts that fits in with mail (won't be as functional as outlook, and you can no longer buy outlook as a standalone....)

i've actually been really posh and created recovery discs....there's a first time for everything, but i thought i'd better as the whole lot was pre-installed.

then thought, better do a reecovery disc for the pc - guess what, it won't let me. it wants me to put the data into a drive that is in fact a drive for a memory card or stick.... duh. and then says it wants a floppy for system data, when i don't have a floppy drive....

now what's that about?

the laptop has a lightscribe dvdetc drive, which is good (much easier than wrestling with paper, have one on the PC they're great!) and various other goodies....


might go back and tell the man in the shop he was wrong; after all, i bought a home/student version of office that i probably needn't have bothered with!

we're off to see the molly mare having wasted the best of the day's weather....

2 comments:

Jean said...

Ouch about the glasses. I am wearing mine now instead of my usual contact lenses. These are graduated trifocals so I can see at three different distances with one pair of glasses.

My contacts are designed to my right eye sees distance and my left eye sees close up. I still wear reading glasses for lots of close up reading, though.

MS works is OK, but I do find the Office programs better. It all depends on whether or not you have to transfer files from one system/computer to another as I do with school stuff.

But, someone told me the Vista version of Offics is not totally compatible with the XP version??? Don't know about this, but it might be a worry.

Any issues with the Works compatibility, or do you know have to transfer files from your home computer to other ones?

Claire said...

i shall have to see about works/office comparison.

oddly, though, word in works works more like word in earlier versions of office; I really don't like the front end of word 2007, doesn't have everthing where i wanted it/am used to having it

that's a thought about stuff working at work...will go check! if i can save into RTF from works then that'll be fine.... otherwise i will be installing office...