Sunday, September 30, 2007

busy weekend & loads of piccies...

but first something hilarious a bear stuck under a very high bridge...

anyway, the weekend began very early yesterday when I had to rescue a live mouse from the younger cat (I'd been woken by the noise being made as cat chased mouse round downstairs... as you are!)

Went to feedstore/saddlers to collect clean rugs, new headcollar for molly, feed for queenie, then to the yard.

The plan yesterday was long lining - in the bitless, as the other bridle is at home waiting to be cleaned and oiled! - and it shows how long it is since we did that, also that we hadn't been keeping up with our groundwork generally. Molly started giving me grief on right rein again. the good note to finish on was that I did get her going right, in walk at least, twice... with resolution for rope circling today.

Then home, changed, and off to Keswick for the night (partner's stayed there tonight, a walking weekend for her, and week for those who can get the week!). rented house at the very foot of Skiddaw, with Skiddaw behind us and looking from the terrace over Keswick to Cat Bells (actually, this pic is from slightly above the house, the ones I took from the house were a shade dark due to it being late and cloudy when I took them ... this was this morning at about 0900)
(couldn't see Grisedale Pike from the house due to a tree growing right in the line of sight). Good night had by all - and when we first arrived we went for a wander round Keswick and I found a Michael Peace/lesley Bayley book for £8 reduced from £20!). Apart from the amazing views, good food and company, the people who own the house have two small pigs from New Zealand; at first, one looked as though it might have been a Gloucester Old spot, but it was too small, and they weren't. They like carrots, apples, lettuce - she has no compost bin in consequence of having these two.Then came back this morning via Hartside Pass going to Allendale to see Queenie, drop the feed off etc. This is the view from Hartside looking back to Penrith & the Lakes:

Was pleased, as Queenie was in the stable so I could get a good look at her - groomed her as well! normally when I get there she's at the top of the field and either they won't come or it's wet, so was glad to get a close up view!


We think she'll do this winter, but rather think she won't do next. Position to be reviewed next summer. Compare with Molly, very little difference! it was quite funny, those of us who know both horses often call Molly Queenie, and today we found ourselves calling Queenie Molly! Oops.

Interesting chat about pelhams - the lass where Queenie is used to run the riding school up there, vastly experienced. She takes the same view as Heather Moffett on pelhams, agrees that they lighten and soften and thinks if I get it right it may well work for Molly. She suggested I try a ported pelham, so will go hunt. But will work on my hands/seat a bit more first, I think!

Then, to Throckley to visit Nicola & Ali G & Polo. Ali G is GORGEOUS. I did take a fair few pics - here's one, hope she doesn't mind, I've sent the rest to Nicola and no doubt she'll post some more!
Then back down to the yard, where molly & I went back to rope circling. She wasn't happy. But eventually did do it. It was interesting watching her thinking. I rather think she'd thought that I'd given up on this and that I'd decided to let her have her own way again. Not. So I was pleased with the work we did.

Finally got back home about 5 pm, and had a feed and some tea! dinner will be later....

and will edit later for photos.....

6 comments:

cptrayes said...

Oh poor bear! That's an "oh ****" moment if ever I saw one!

C

Muriel said...

Oh Me God, Ali is GORGEOUS !!!

I want one just like that.

Thanks the great pics. I like Queenie too. But sorry Ali is a stunner.

Claire said...

yes Ali is ... best looking horse I've ever seen, I think....If I've got the money then my next one will be.....

except I'll probably be too old by then!

Anonymous said...

I wonder if the fire brigade were called to help get the bear down!
Nice entry Claire, and good photos. It's always nice to have a good weekend at this time of year.
Take care and have a good week.

Nicola said...

He sends his appreciation for the admiration:))
Cant wait to see what he's like in a year or two he's filled out so much already.

Nice to meet you Claire.

Few friends and I did the coast to coast once on bicycles we came up Heartside stunning views but NEVER AGAIN!:0Those hills nearly killed us ive never been so exhaused and desperate for a car in my life we were on our knees!

Jean said...

Poor bear! What a great rescue. I loved his expression as he lumbered off on the rocks in the last pic.

Queenie is quite a lady. I am sure she is getting all the care and love she deserves. A grand old girl if ever there was one--and yes, she does look like Molly--or should that be the other way around? *G*