Saturday, September 22, 2007

baaad molly

plan was for a hack out with julie on suzie. round the 20 acre was fine, then molly was first through the gate and napping up the lane and would not, whatever we did, head to the ford. head shaking all over theplace, bouncing about.... so we thought up the side of the geldings field. that was even worse and felt as though she was about to explode. so i got off and led her up, which at least got her up there and me some exercise. of course, i couldn't get back on so led her back to the yard and 1/2 later when julie came back was still trying to get on. of course, she then stood like a lamb whilstl julie held her head. plan then was get on, ride into the arena, do somethign right in there and call it a day. unfortunately, person had put pony in arena for turnout (it's laminitic, apparently - not my friend's katie that is definitely so, but another smaller older one that is). so i had to get off on the hard, which never pleases me because of my foot, but at least i'd got back on eventually.

what a c**.

we did wonder if she's in season. but it was hopeless. normally she'll follow another horse, but no way this time.

hope we go better tomorrow, friend's fetching her horse up from yorkshire for a ride out..

6 comments:

Jean said...

"These are the times that try men's souls..." Never can quite figure out what's going on in a horse's brain. Maybe there was something in the field earlier Molly might have seen? My guys have long memories if something strange is somewhere it shouldn't be.

Haven't dealt much with mares, so I'm not too familiar with "those days." I do know some of the Hilton Herbs and natural remedies do work with some horses as I've had friends who've used them.

Still keeping tabs on Tucker and the ulcer medication. If it stabilizes his personality, I'll be advocating that for everyone. I do know regular acupuncture made a HUGE difference in my PJ, so I am always suspicious that training problems are related to physical ones.

Good luck tomorrow.

Nicola said...

Hi Claire eventually found your blog(link under you EE sig-bit thick at times)anyway added to my favourites!

She does sound a bit of a drama queen eh!I know that feeling well when you think they are going to explode Polo gives off vibes big time..not nice.
I tend to work the arse off him when he's like this..it can be a scary process but ive taken him for 2hour plus hacks,trotting and trotting him until he settles down.

Diet makes a huge difference to Polo absolutely no cereals,course mixes are rocket fuel for him,have you tried experimenting?

Claire said...

hi nicola.

in the process of trying top spec with alfa a. but it 's not that she's hyper, it's that she's a stubborn c** and we're stil working through the issues.

i suppose i should be pleased i got on!

jean, i don't htink it was anything she saw - last time we were round there she was foot perfect...

i do occasionally thnk about herbs/stroppy mare stuff, but generally i don't think anything like that would bottom the fundamental issue, whatever it is....

Nicola said...

My experience with TopSpec werent good sent Polo loopy.ive heard a few other people have had this reaction.
I dont think you can go past Simple Systems feed the Eclipse has linseed(coat and joints),brewers yeast(guts)and seaweed (minerals),I top up with magnesium for his feet but is also in many calmers.Im sure now that ive got his diet spot on its made him much saner.

Dont have alot of experience with mares but if something helps her hormones would it not make solving her 'issues' more do-able?Might be worth a try.

Claire said...

um ... we'll see how it goes.

the thing is, nicola, she won't go out on her own .....so the option of a 2 hour hard work hack is not on! yet. no doubt we'll get there one day.

cptrayes said...

Claire I think you've told us, but you'll have to remind me cos I'm getting old - has she got family history of this kind of behaviour or is it just her?

I really do think this kind of problem crops up more in chestnuts, does anyone agree with me? The two most difficult horses I've had have been bright chestnut, I've seen friends with other spooky or dangerous bright chestnuts, and they far outnumber the badly behaved bays if you account for the fact that there are so many more bay horses.

C