Sunday, September 23, 2007

bit of history

probably worth repeating since it's 3 years next Monday since I've had Molly.

I own her mother, Queen of Timber (Queenie), whom I bought in 1995 (October again!) when Molly's younger brother Fred was weaned. Bought from a friend, and of course I'd known Molly from when she was born, near enough.

Queenie was and is an uncomplicated mare - particularly impressive as she was ridden in a too narrow saddle from about 1986 until about 2001... good to do in all respects, not a nasty bone in her body. Her sire was Timber King, dam Maroyal. A chestnut mare, with a slight congenital asymmetry at the shoulder (I realised it was congenital when I found Molly had the same).

Molly is by Golden Lahab (a Blushing Groom stallion) who is also chestnut.

When Molly was 6 months, she was weaned - by being brought to the yard i was then on. Was turned out in field of strange horses, found staked that same afternoon, a few months box rest. then went home again to her owner. at 3 1/2 or so, she was in a wagon with another mare, turning into my RI's yard to be left to be backed. both mares went down (as I understand it now, the turn into the yard must have been taken a shade fast) and had really nasty leg injuries from the divider thingys also coming off and trapping them. Recovered from that and went back to owner, who backed her herself. said then owner/breeder had had loads of experience breeding/backing/bringing on so shouldn't have been a problem, but apparently there were always problems with 2 things - bitting, and right rein lunging....

Later, sent to owner's brother, who put his teenage child on and sent them out for a 10 mile ride - which came to an abrupt halt as Molly was said to have reared (I doubt that, she's not a rearer ... just does other things that could feel like that to an inexperienced youngster) and brother was apparently going to shoot her but instead sent her to another of breeder's friends. Said friend used to run riding school at Allendale, now works at Bardon Mill.

anyway, fast forwards to 2004. Queenie is 22, starting to show a bit of "sag" in the back, had had a nasty knee injury which happily didn't get infected the spring of that year, I was starting to think about retiring her.

So in the September called in at Bardon Mill (well known garden pot producer! seconds!) after a walk, got talking to Allison the friend, didn't know she worked there until that day! asked after Molly - she was trying to move her on, but worried about what to do given the history and couldn't sell her locally. Molly had by this time bred a very nice foal by a Connemara stallion. the foal, by the by, will now be 4 - was backed last year, did very well at her first few shows, will be a good working hunter pony we expect! no issues reported back by the people who backed her or the people who then bought her.

Alison thought Molly needed restarting.

I thought about it, and said if she'd give Queenie a retirement home, I'd take Molly. So she said yes, and that's what happened. Queenie does a useful job playing granny to various youngsters and generally being a companion.

And it's taken me to now to get her going right, be reasonably happy with her bit, to stand still when mounted and we're now working on acceptance of contact (which should start going better after going to HM's demo....). But, she won't go out on her own.

She's not shown much sign of tanking off and generally isn't hyper. but very very stubborn, and clearly some confidence issues remaining in terms of going out. she just plants herself, and turns round, setting her jaw.

she's never been on her own (so I got a stable mirror, worked a treat!) and that will have something to do with it, i expect. She did, apparently, hack out with her brother Fred being led, but how much of that I believe I don't know (well, I do - none of it.)

There's probably something that I don't know in there, but I'll never find out what it is, I don't think - breeder hasn't spoken to self or Alison since finding out I have Molly.

Anyway, she was good tonight - i got on no bother, worked on walk/trot transitions again, and on my hands (must get out of the habit of moving ALL fingers, just the little one will do!). forgot my watch, though, so don't know how long I was on!!!!

2 comments:

Jean said...

Whee! What a history! No wonder Molly is all confused. She was under a lot of stress even at a young age. All the more praise to you for all the success you've had so far!

Sometimes how long you ride just doesn't matter as long as it's a good ride.

cptrayes said...

"Sometimes how long you ride just doesn't matter as long as it's a good ride."


I second that, stop on a good note even if it feels too soon, rather than risk finishing badly :-)

C