Wednesday, September 19, 2007

lesson time again

did it earlier today, since i had the day off (eventually got up again at 11, to the smell of freshly cooked bread, having set the breadmaker off at 8...)

so went up for lesson.

got Spuddie tacked up and into the indoor and got on and we set away - and he was lame! he had, apparently, been hoolying around the field this morning, to clearly sprained something.

So got jack out, who i'd never sat on before. Carole lunged him first - I said, I'm not lunging on him! but ordinary ridden he was fine (she says her working pupil hasn't beendoing a proper job, and that'll be right - never seen one of Carole's bronc like that on the lunge before ever). fantastic trot, apparenly he's half warmblood so a big trot.

So I just rode him (note to self, next time take my own reins, can't be doing with thick rubber reins!) and we worked on my position. my legs hurt by the finish (not assisted by the pulled muscle as I got out of the shower this morning...).

But the saddle. it doesn't help. If i get a seatbone saver for nothing else, it'll be to help with that! the stirrup bars are too forward set, that is clear, so keeping the right position is not easy.

I said at one point, I need my thighs straighter. She said, in time .... got to get other thigns right first. To me, I need to have the thighs straighter AND that'll help me get everything else right (including keeping the leg in the right place!).

But it does make a huge difference being on a balanced schooled horse.

This one, if you don't hold him together and keep the leg on, then on a downward transition you just suddenly stop. and his walk is snail pace....

But anyway, progress. Didn't go ride Molly - legs needed a rest. Just groomed and fed.

Hope the weather's as good tomorrow as it was today, it was gorgeous. annoyed really, didn't hang laundry out as it kept raining this morning, but I should have done, it would have been dry!

1 comment:

Jean said...

I tend to agree with you about the thighs. The leg forms the basis for the seat so you need to get it in the right position to get the rest of you where you belong.

But, baby steps are better than none, so it was a good lesson. A well balanced horse is a much nicer ride. Makes you want it all the time on every horse you ride.

Alas, it doesn't always work that way.