Sunday, September 16, 2007

1 step forward - and 2 months back

i couldn't get on.

Four attempts at the moungint block, and she wasn't having it.

so I put the training halter on and did 20 minutes rope circling.

tried again - still couldn't get on.

ggrrhh.

either

1. it was the wind (it was windy, but not that bad down at the yard!) OR
2. i hadn't put the bridle on correctly OR
3. she was being a bollocks.

whatever, i wasn't overjoyed.

i hadn't planned on doing huge amounts of anything, it was windy and i was on my own (no one else was riding because it was windy..... the arena was ok, though, as it's sheltered from the prevailing wind).

ggrrhh

2 comments:

Jean said...

Back to the drawing board, I guess. Whatever techniques you used before to get her to stand will now have to be done again, this time with even more determination. I've seen strange learning curves with horses before for what reason I don't know. They seem to have a grip on a concept, do it well for a while and then suddenly forget everything.

The potentially good thing is that, in my experience, after the second teaching, the lesson usually becomes permanent.

I think it just is that Molly probably never really "learned" to stand but was just standing out of response to the training. Now you have to reenforce the behavior until she really does learn it forever.

ae said...

errr... I know how it feels when it doesn´t go nothing has planned!!

Next time it will be better :)