Monday, June 12, 2006

slipping ...

I was, on the saddle, which seems to have lost it's non stick qualities (its nubuck leather, should be a bit sticky). I probably need to see where the cleaning instructions are and give it a clean ....

Went out for a ride with Gaynor. I was very pleased with Molly to start with. We were going along the lane, which normally I can't even get her to the beginning of, but she went along the start of it very nicely and then decided to trot. I decided to let her, on the principle that it was forward motion and rather that than have her napping earlier than she might otherwise have done. She then duly napped, despite my trying to prevent her doing so. Got her going again, and then she had several nappy moments at her favourite spot (the orchard gate) and then decided to march on down the lane in front, towards the ford. so far so good, and we went into the field. the plan was to go up Holme Hill, which is a canter track usually, we had two fields to go to get there. she napped and jogged and jinked and I slipped and slid and we decided that holme hill was not the place to go. So we thought we'd go up the side of the big field (it's a climb in itself, but not one where the horses expect a fast canter) and both Molly & Charlie were disconcertred, and so were we, by the length of the grass! normally they keep the field edges mown, but not round this - i wouldn't have wanted to walk it myself, loads of nettles and you really couldn't see if there were any rabbit holes or anything, very disconcerting. Eventually she settled down as we went along the top and back down, but I'd lost some confidence by then.

A total contrast to last week, when I had confidence and so did she, and I wasn't slipping about all over the place, but I coulnd't get it together tonight at all. And I think if we'd gone Holme Hill I would have been too tense to be sensible ....

But overall, Molly did well, and it was a good ride really - I think half my problem was probably that I was starving, no tea before I ride..... never a good plan that, really, but not a lot of choice!

Flat work tomorrow in the arena, and a ride out again on wednesday.

No comments: