Saturday, June 03, 2006

bareback again

My saddle is in the boot of my partner's car, on its way to aberdeen to be taken to horseandharmony - there is an asymmetry in teh pad, and since partner was going up anyway, it struck me that it made much more sense to send saddle & pad and then they can see them both together and even put them on a horse!

So I rode bareback today - well, with the bareback pad. Of course needed help to get on, but (it might have been the heat) it wasn't nearly such trouble as it has been in the past. Young Emily was able to hold her at the mounting block after I'd led her round and stood her in place, and she stayed there.

Plus - moved to the other half of the yard today, and the mounting block there is much more the thing, don't actually need a stirrup, can just put a leg over.

just did a lot of walk work in the arena, interesting how you really notice what muscles do what when there is absolutely nothing between you & the horse. only 20/25 minutes, but quite good and interesting.

The only b. was, Molly of course hasn't worked out yet that the barn isn't home anymore, and I couldn't get her to do anything except go to the barn when we came out of the arena. at least she did it in walk!

and I put the bitless bridle back on today, thought it was time for a change as she has been a wee bit shaky with the bit just lateley, especially when you first put it in.

But spent the day there - moving all my stuff from one tack room to another, rearranging everything (you know how that is), hosing down new stable, etc. Decided not to go home for lunch (wished I'd taken a packed lunch with me) - 5 miles each way, it's much quicker/cheaper to nip up to sainsbury's for a sandwich than go all the way home and back.

knackered though. I'd been invited down to a friends at Ripon, but frankly I think I'll struggle to keep my eyes open if I set off down there now!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you've had a busy day then. Is Molly living out now?

Claire said...

steph she's been out for about two months now, you mean sparky isn't?

Anonymous said...

Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
»