Saturday, May 27, 2006

hacking out again

It was like riding a different horse today.

TBF, I realised putting the barefoot on today, having had the Fhoenix on yesterday, that I had had the barefoot too far forward. so I put it further back, and you could see the difference in the sweat pattern and lack of rub when we got back. So that's a lesson learnt (just as well, I'm going to have to sell loads of stuff to get a Fhoenix!).

Anyway, once we got out, after a couple of glitches when first going out (whip round turns, happily in walk, and not wanting to go through a gate that had nearly crashed into her, which I can understand) she pretty much settled down nicely.

We went through the park, under the road bridge next to Cocken, then cantered up the hill (me in front; I hadn't necessarily wanted to do that, but when we got there it was too inviting and I was in front. Gaynor wasn't too chuffed as I hadn't said I was going to, I'd thought I'd only trot, but it all felt good so we did it. Happily Gaynor & Emily on Charlie & Kate stayed behind me).

Then we walked the rest of the way, the reverse of a ride I'd already done under the main east coast line, round the top through tracks and a field, back under the east coast main line, down a field and back down the drive to the yard. The others went off to do another canter, but I was happy with what we'd done.

And did it all without the martingale on; had taken that off yesterday (knew Muriel wouldn't approve, and I need to stop using it really it was on to stop her windmilling) and didn't put it back on.

The ony downside was that when I got back and took the saddle off, I reaslied there was a cut, a thin line really, under the lower part of the saddle flaps. I hadn't seen that at all tacking up, and I think that was because it was dry and invisible and unfeelable, whereas when we got back, it was wet with sweat and clear. So that's depressing. But she hadn't played up because of it so I don't think there's any harm done.

BUT someone's coming to show me the barefoot london tomorrow, so I do hope I can put a saddle on her. I've a feeling the barefoot london won't go over it as it's differently cut to the cheyenne.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i wonder claire, could you point me in the direction of rider friendly beaches? I'm pretty sure south shields don't allow horses(since they don't allow dogs =O) and the only one I've come across is druridge bay. Thanks.

I'm getting really confused about this whole saddle thing-whats a barefoot london? are you getting a phoenix?

oh and as for the looking for the farm, sparks still by himself and the farms in a pretty small village so I doubt you would have been there to get your hair done, lol. It's called Grange Villa, it's a nice place and they all call me "hinny", lol.

Claire said...

re your place - yes, i'd gone the wrong way!

re beaches - no, sorry, unless you fancy a trip to redcar, where I've seen horses (including racehorses) on. I've never taken a horse to the beach so don't know. I don't know about Whitley Bay/Tynemouth, worth investigating, and double check shields. There's a riding school here

North Lizard Riding School
Lizard Lane , Marsden , South Shields , Tyne and Wear NE34 7AE
Tel: 0191 5292198

so they might know ...

Anonymous said...

thanky, I'll see if theres anything on it on the bhs or some website...