Tuesday, November 27, 2007

queenie - choke

I was rung this morning just before 11 - she'd been found this morning, clearly had been in some distress, vet called (had been and gone by this time but was coming back). had had some liquid poured down the usual tube but to no great effect.

I obviously went up - happily boss was OK about that when I told him (i was filling up, of course). We & vet spent about 50 minutes pouring the best part of a bucket of warm water down tube, got some out, but it's still there.

happily it wasn't blocking the windpipe, but is blocking the stomach.

vet's coming back in the morning, and is going to have one more go if it doesn't self clear overnight as a result of the sedative. if that doesn't work, the only option would be invasive surgery, and I'm not prepared to go there - she is after all 25 about to be 26.

so if it doesn't clear and the vet can't sort it, the decision is made that Queenie will be PTS. vet pleased I'm of that view, she said. I said, whilst we were in the process of pouring liquid down, that I didn't want to be officiously striving for the sake of it if it wasn't going to work. She says she's had 4 or 5 so far in her career and has always got them clear.

so of course emailed friend to do molly tonight, just as well didn't get back here till gone 8....

4 comments:

Jean said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jean said...

Oh dear! I will say a prayer for your grand lady. Wish I could do more.

These kinds of problems with elderly horses always put the owner in a difficult situation. I am sure whatever you do and have done, it is all motivated by deep love and an even greater concern for Queenie's welfare and happiness.

My heart is aching for you both. Please keep us updated. I will be thinking of you.

Nicola said...

Oh no hope she's doing okay?!
Horrible situation to be in but sounds like your doing everything you can for her!

Polo and his field mate went through a period of choking years ago and its pretty distressing ..turned out it was the ReadyGrass we were adding to their feed soon as we cut it out they were fine again.

Fingers crossed she's sorted herself out over night...take carex

Muriel said...

Oh, No my thoughts are with you. I hoep she will clear out tonight.
Fingers crossed!