Sunday, August 05, 2007

and again...

but it took a bit longer today, and I did have to get off at one point and lead her back round (it was better to do that than have the tantrum that was incipient...)

she then marched happily down the hill to the 20 acre.... into it ... then promptly decided she was frightened of smething in there, the mare that happily marched on ahead of suzie all the way round last week!

then we went up to the gelding's field with gaynor, and back. she's pretty much given up napping ot the stable.

then of course, since she refused to go anywhere on her own, she ended up in the arena.

I've just bought a new book - schooling exercises for dressage riders - so set to with some of those, one of the trot ones in walk, then walk/trot/walk/trot, and some flexions to try and get her to soften to the bit instead of setting herself. she gets that for a bit, then loses it. partly me, partly her.

at one point we had a lateral movement across the arena; the trouble was I hadn't asked for it deliberately but I know what the problem is, my right hip/seatbone.

then back through the yard to the willow (preventing her from napping to the stable quite smartly!!! it's scary when she starts that as its hard concrete with rocks on top (small rocks, but sharp ones!) and next to a stone wall) and back to the arena to get off.

I still suffer with that foot i broke last year if I land on hard, so do have to get off in the arena. anyway, don't want her to get used to me getting off in the yard, as that would be an excuse for more napping back to the stable. the stable is NOT where we stop work!

3 comments:

Jean said...

It' such a challenge to work a difficult horse on your own. So many moments get scary and having no one to give you a lead can be quite daunting. Still, you seem to be coping well.

So typical of a horse to go somewhere happily one day and then decide it's too scary the next. Personally, I think they just like making excuses. After all, why to do the same thing two times in a row? *G*

The mounting is improving every time. Was it a bit over a month ago that you simply could not get on at all?

I hate it when horses start misbehaving on hard or uneven footing. I worry about their slipping and worry as well in case I have to dismount myself. My knees, like your foot, just can't take a hard landing. Better if you can get her in the arena at the end of each ride.

I have a cool book called 101 Dressage Exercises. It has all kinds of interesting things to do with your horse. It's always good to have some new ideas to try out.

Claire said...

Jean I've NEVER been able to get on without help before ....and I've had her nearly 3 years now! should have had max out after the first 6 months, but I'm not sure i'd even heard of him then .....

Jean said...

You can't dwell on what "might have beens" and Max is a part of that.

I wish I'd had my treeless saddle when I had my Russell R. too, but I don't think there were any good treeless saddles around then.

We need to cherish what we have now and keep looking fo the future. Regrets just don't get us very far in the end.

3 years of frustration must make this success even more sweet!