Sunday, July 22, 2007

holiday notes - photos later

Well if I'd had my brain in gear I could have typed up the events of each day and then uploaded the whole lot all at once.... I had my Palm and its keyboard with me (the palm has satnav....) but I didn't even think of that until this morning.

The satnav anyway didn't work in France; I think the full map of France was all too much for it, so whilst I had mapping, I had to work out direction myself. Useful nonetheless, especially when mislaid in a town and having to wrestle with the one way system as well.

Anyway, the highlights and adventures of our holiday.

Drove down to Folkstone late Monday for an 0530 am train; in fact got the 0337 train, so were there even earlier then planned, probably just as well. But I really mustn't do that again, much more sensible to drive down the day before and book a night in a travelodge! Straight to belgium (about ½ hour) on arrival for cheap baccy, then a couple of hours shuteye in a laybye.

Took us most of the day to drive to Saumur, which isn't really that far but kept having to stop and sleep! Eventually got there about 11pm, mad, and overslept for breakfast the next day.

Saumur is very nice, lots to see. Spotted that the Cadre Noir did a demo show every Thursday – but, this was the only week it was cancelled! They'd gone away somewhere for the week to do a demo elsewhere.... Freebie tour of the place instead. That was Thursday morning, having spent Wednesday looking at the town and the château, which had an interesting display of old saddles etc... very reminiscent, and probably in fact exactly the same as, modern Portuguese/Spanish styles.

Thursday drove down to near Bergerac, Friday was the christening to which we'd been invited, lovely day had in good weather. Then Saturday down to St Jean de Luz in Convoy .... 5 cars, us, 3 American couples and the American/French couple whose 4th child was the one being Christened. Massive villa booked – and there was a room for us, which they'd thought there wouldn't be but there was. So that made it cheaper all round and saved us finding a campsite.

Sunday spent some time on the beach; Monday – went to Bilbao to the Guggenheim. Realised shortly after arriving that it was no distance at all to Bilbao, so off we went, so pleased we did. Mind the art it contained didn't do HUGE amounts for me, but the building is fantastic.

Tuesday partner joined some others (essentially, one person per couple) on wine hunting trip whilst the rest of us stayed home and minded the kids (of whom there were 10, not including the non walking baby....).

I'd got a flyer for a dressage/flamenco show that night, but no one wanted to go with me and when I set off I realised I was out of petrol – and i already knew that the local supermarket, which had the only 24 hour petrol station, didn't like my card as I'd had to pay cash for the shopping. So I didn't go, which was a disappointment.

Then Wednesday we went into Biarritz and Bayonne, which were interesting, and Thursday to ST Jean town in the afternoon and then the adults went to Hendaye just on the French side of the border for dinner, there having been a babysitter found for the kids.... early start Friday morning and drove up to Calais in one go ... not too bad, if lengthy, and a 2 hour lunch break in Poitiers.

Found a hotel with a room in Folkestone Friday night, then Saturday morning went to Hastings to see my uncle (rang the home he was in to say was it ok to come, to be told he was in hospital....really glad I went!). Got home 9 last night.....


No comments: