Sunday, April 23, 2006

She's winding me up

Molly, that is.

We decided that today.

Went out for a short hack with Gaynor - that was funny - she'd brought her partners car so didn't have the keys for her locker, so no saddle/bridle/hat. she borrowed my bareback pad and bitless bridle and my spare hat (which fits her) and came out like that. I think she was bricking it a bit, to use her phrase, as she was convinced she would have no control at all bitless, so we just walked round the 20 acre and back along the track and then into the arena.

All went very well till charlie saw the cows (which he's terrified of) but happily got led through and was fine (probably that did him the world of good!).

We realised half way round that I'd got Molly's martingale in a twist - - there was me thinking she was just chilled, in fact she couldn't get her head up at all = that's cos gaynor rushed me (that's my excuse and i'm sticking to it ..... ;-), she being very early as a change from her usual very late!)

and then we went into the arena. Molly essentially was pretending to be lame as an evasion when asked to do some work; if I didn't put pressure on her to ask for the contact, she didn't but if I did, she did. And gaynor got some nice trot & canter out of charlie, complete with control of direction, I think she was surprised! and charlie showed no signs of doing anything untoward despite not having a bit in his mouth ....

I was pleased that gaynor watched - actually she was going to go back to the barn but i asked her to stick around a bit and watch molly - and I think now agrees with me that moll's just stubborn as opposed to having anything fundamentally wrong with her!

So whilst we didn't go far, I was pleased.

And the suberpad stayed put this time as well. Mind, I agree with all those who've reported that the saddle don't shift with a suberpad - it didn't! and I wished it had, as I decided I hadn't in fact put in on quite as square as I thought! But, all to the good, as previously it had been slipping slightly.

So essentially I need to do lots more hacking out; hopefully people will start turing up and riding nights! it don't get dark now until about 8 so I don't really understand why people aren't ....

No comments: