Tuesday, April 18, 2006

ready to be out

Molly is well ready to be out, but I need someone else to be out with her at the same time.

Had a long conversation with Caroline at the yard tonight about Molly's lameness. She wonderered if I should have Molly thoroughly vetted. I didn't when i got her as I knew what accidents she had, what injuries she had, and that she wouldn't pass the vet in consequence, therefore saw no point in spending money on a vetting that she'd fail - the more so as I didn't have to pay for her of course.

Caroline thinks there may be something amiss that Molly can't tell me that would account for her behaviours; she didn't have the faintest idea which side the problem was though, no more than I do. Someone else thought that trotting small circles (which I wasn't, particularly, 20m circles) would make a horse lame .... no. It would only go lame trotting small circles if there was something wrong that meant it coulnd't cope with small circles surely?

I incline to the view that she is so much better than she was ( as previous readers will recall, when I started my blog I couldn't get a bit in her mouth and when I did she wasn't safe to ride!) that the current problem is more likely to be of recent gestation and linked possibly to being kicked in the field, possibly (and highly likely, in fact) to her habit of bouncing from her pile of haylage to the door because she's frightened she might be missing something.

Also I think there is a lot to be said for getting the physio out to to her for a check over that way (and I know a very good one who gets referrals from vets ...one of whom I was talking to t'other day)

I think I did the right thing not persisting with the pad that came with the saddle, when I looked at her back tonight, but think I've caught that one in time.

It may be that there's something about my riding as well; and thinking about it, maybe i should take the form out of the pommel and stuff it with something interesting like dead tights ....

Having said all that, it is a 'ridden' issue I think; turned her out this morning and she blasted across to the other side of the field in a fast canter ..... will need to spend some time watching her in the field at the weekend i think, and may be take some video so as to get second opinions ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Claire. Just to say that I shall follow your exploits with Molly here as I did over on 20six.

Claire said...

good oh! although I'm not sure that exploits is quite the right word as yet! what's the opposite?