Monday, April 13, 2009

lesson report

There will be some video, after we'd started I found people videoing it EEEK. but apparently it looked ok.

Firstly, Del is a good bit bigger than Molly, and it's such a long time since Ive ridden anything other than molly it felt quite scary! It also felt quite slippy at first, but it wasnt'

Second, it was a jumping saddle, and the pommel was high (well it felt high!) so i leave you to imagine that effect. It also, of course, had slightly forward set bars....so next time we'll either try my saddle on Del, not sure owner too keen but she's worried how he'll react (fine, i would expect, no tree.... and shouldn't need any shims!) or i'll buy a seatbone saver...

I'd been told his trot was bouncy - well, i couldn't feel any bounce so I must have been riding it properly!

Anyway, started off with some thigh stretching exercises, one of my main issues is to release my thigh to allow the leg to drop properly.

Then those things I never did as a child - arms waving out, carryig them up, out, on hips, whatever ... helpt a lot, and of course not something i could do on molly moo at the moment!

We'd put my reins on (he normally has those thick rubber ones which I can't use) and then I was trot/walk/trot on the lunge, and then RI took lunge off and I was left to my own devices - and he went wel for me, but i did lose my leg towards the end....I also tried halt/trot and got some snappy transitions - he's a horse you've got to get moving on to get the reaction ....

But he's very nice to ride and I had a lovely time, albeit i worked hard!

Molly got a day off, of course...

4 comments:

trudi said...

Sounds like a great lesson!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a really good time - how fun!

Danni said...

Sounds brill :D

Jean said...

Super lesson. But what happened to the canter? Next time???

Being lunged is always good and if the horse goes well as Del did, it's even better.

Isn't is something how spoiled we get with our own saddles...especially treeless ones. *G*