Saturday, September 13, 2008

vet visit

i should have been more concerned about the swelling in the legs than i was. When i got there this morning, it clearly wasn't clever and the fronts were looking a bit up as well. so rang the vet, since it was clear that she has an infection. he took one look and said "lymphangitis"....

so

antibiotic injections immediately x 2; antibiotics in her feed, 1 sachet twice a day for 5 days....

to be kept in, stable bandages on (haven't had to do stable bandages since I can't remember when!)

cold hosed x 2 per day (each leg, 10 minutes each or thereabouts - happily, i found i can do both back legs together, or at least i could today the way she was standing)

hand walked out on tarmac around 15 minutes x 2 per day

and ring if i'm worried/it doesn't settle

but she looks really smart in her green stable bandages and green & blue check rug, also new today - the cotton sheet i'd been using is now minging (that, for international readers, is a local term for filthy!) so had to have a new one so i could wash the other...

and i didn't really need new stable bandages as I did have some, but couldn't resist green on chestnut.....



6 comments:

Jean said...

Oh my! I guess I was right being worried about her legs. Vibes from across the sea????

Well, it seems you will have it sorted with all the extra care and medication. And, of course, you needed new bandages--an essential for proper healing. *lol*

Give Molly a hug from me and hopes she feels much better soon.

cptrayes said...

Oooh, nasty. My horse Basil had that once, came up like an elephant's leg. Antibiotics knocked it on the head though. Hope she's better soon.

C

Nicola said...

Ouch a mates horse had that once but it did clear up pretty quickly once the antibiotics kicked in.
Im sure she'll be pleased to be out of the rain and mud :)

Muriel said...

Doh?

Well I must a bad over-the pond Mum. Linda had a hind-legs filled badly.
I did not call the vet, I just bandage them. I hand-walked her for 30-45 minutes, and I cold-showered her legs. After three to four days she was back to normal.
I read somewhere that lymphangitis will come back again and again.
No antibiotics etc ...

Guess we are tougher here ^_^

Claire said...

muriel, this is all 4 legs! no way i would leave that!

Claire said...

steph reminded me i meant to post photos...