Friday, September 26, 2008

boots

have been a trouble to me for half the week.

firstly, i got that huge blister the other day, walking in my mountain horse high riders - sill thing to do.

then, yesterday, the zip at the back of said boots finally died and will have to go to cobblers to see if it can be mended.

today, i took my posh regent leather boots that i haven't worn for years (since i got my first pair of mountain horse, in fact) - but had to spend so long on ground work (trying to see if i could get herself to stand) that my left foot was protesting severely by the finish. and i'd forgotten how slippy they can feel against the horses side!

after an hour of ground work, I'd almost got her to stand - but to the point where when I started to lift my foot to put in the stirrup, she'd move! eventually, got someone to hold her head. he said, i should be quicker - maybe, but i'm not getting younger and i can't be quicker and she SHOULD stand...

i did feel i'd made some progress though, but she's a challenge...

after that i trotted a bit, even managed a change of rein whilst in trot, and then asked for a nice walk - which we got! 2 circuits of the arena

so then we stopped.

2 comments:

Jean said...

That mounting issue is frustrating. Wish I were there. If I could actually see it, maybe I could offer some useful suggestions. Usually, a lot of in-hand work expecting obedience to aids for walk, halt, move off one side or another, back, etc, fixes things like that.

Remember the principle: If Molly, on her own, chooses to move her feet, you will make them move in all kinds of obedient and working directions according to your aids for long enough to make her want to stop and stand. And each time she decides to move on her own after that, the same thing happens. The work should be quick little exercises with changes of direction, etc...in other words, hard mental work.

Hope that helps.

Lucky me. I walked Toby halfway home on that trail in my Ariat paddock boots and my feet were OK. Still, I feel your pain. So sorry.

cptrayes said...

Nice walk, good news ;-)

C