Tuesday, September 09, 2008

a good start.....but i made 2 mistakes

the good start was lunging this morning.

roller (not the new one, not got that back yet) loose side reins, bridle & lunge cavesson (again, not the new one).

She really relaxed on left rein; right rein was hugely better, hardly a problem at all getting it.

so i was really pleased with that.

the 2 mistakes? i turned her out without a rug and hung the washing out, expecting, from last night's forecast on the met office website, it to be dry until late. I should have checked it again this morning, as it rained.....the washing it still on the line, wet. Molly came in in a dry moment (and happily had dried off again) but was NOT impressed at all at having been out

and I've had to tip a bale of haylage (small bale) as it was seriously overheating (i re-wrap once I've taken some slices out). rang the man and he agreed with me that not right ....I've a horrid feeling the next one might go the same way... hopefully they'll replace. I've not had a problem with his haylage before, over years, so we'll all be a bit concerned...

3 comments:

cptrayes said...

I use vacuum bags for storing opened haylage Claire. At this time of year I would expect any haylage opened and not vacuum sealed to go hot in about 48 hours.

C

Jean said...

I was wondering what you did with an open bag of haylage to keep it fresh. From what I've read, its being sealed up is very important.

My hay is dry baled, but my farmer was going to try to bale "sweet hay" which is, apparently, your haylage. Don't know if I dare try it in case he does.

Good to hear Molly longed in both directions for you. However, not so good that she got so unhappily wet along with your washing. That rain is getting really tiresome!

Claire said...

well, caroline, I've never had a problem before with this stuff..and this is abot he 5th bale i've had open this year in the last 4 weeks..and what i do is after i've taken the relevant amount off (which comes away in nice convenient slices) is I re wrap as best i can in it's own wrapping.... which, if i've just opened a bale, doesn't give a total seal from the fresh air...;

but this stuff ALSO smells yeasty, which i think is relevant.