Sunday, September 28, 2008

lugning over poles

was the order of thre day today - i was far too knackered to do justice to riding! spent the day in the garden, dug out the potatoes (rather good) and related tasks...

so decided to lunge, over trotting poles, and tried a very small cross pole as well.

she's better with them in a straight line than a curve, although that might be me, and didn't really like the cross poles.... she did one proper jump and so far as i'm aware that is the first time she's jumped anything.

i think she found it interesting, at any event - interesting in wrking out how to cut in and not do them!

but over the straight trotting poles at first, it's really good to see her really using herself!

this sort of thing wil do her as much good as the other bits of things i'm doing with her...

i wonder if it would be worth while seeing about a proper jump/loose schooling? dunno ... and would probably take me forever to set up.

2 comments:

Nicola said...

Dont think I showed you the polework Rachel had me doing did I Claire?
It really got Ali using his core and activating his hocks..definitely worth doing!

Jean said...

Pole work is great on the lunge. I jump my guys all the time that way.

But I do have to laugh about the finding ways to get around them. Toby is honest to a fault, but Tucker will sneak off to one side or another any chance he gets if I don't direct him perfectly.

You can school her over bigger things on the line too, but if so, put a pole slanting up from the ground to the standard so your line can slide up it and over the side of the jump without getting caught.