Monday, June 30, 2008

spookbusting

that, i thought, was the thing for tonight.....my thought was that doing that might assist in terms of whatever it is that gets Molly blocking ....

now bear in mind this mare couldn't care less about tractors, earthmovers in teh arena with her, screaming kids erupting outside her stable....

following me around, with the schooling whip in front of me and pointing away from her? no.

I'd already done the draping it over her thing .... she did work out that if she stood still it got taken off....

but the other, really not clever. Changing my direction didn't help as i can't run as fast as she can ...

it's one thing watching max do it, it's quite another doing it yourself!

2 comments:

Jean said...

Hi there! Back on line with a new DSL replacement modem.

As I said, it's hard to imitate the training methods the clinicians use. The best situation I was in was a 3 day riding clinic with Kenny where we riders actually practiced the techniques under his guidance. If I would fit my scedule, I'd to one again with Tucker.

Just watching, you get the concept, but not the "feel."

Just keep practicing. Develop some confidence in yourself and your own instincts. A lot of the time you can figure it out on your own.

For the mounting, each time she moves off, you need to get after her immediately with ground exercises of either and energetic or complex sort where she has to work either body or brain or both. Then, ask for stand and be prepared to move her off again if she even moves one foot.

Kenny teaches the ground tie or "stand" the same way. Horse stands still, no work. Horse moves and Kenny makes him move.

Claire said...

hullo Jean, wondered where you'd gone.

I've asked YO if we can move the mounting block back to the centre (or at least, away from the corner) so that I can work her round it, that way its easier to move her off again if she doesn't stand. as it is, i have to move right away from the mounting block to go back to the ground work!