Sunday, June 22, 2008

waaaaiiilllll.. and hyper - and howling gales

But mum, you're taking me away from my new friends and that youngster that's followed me through the field and I want to go back and i don't wnat to listen to you ...

had i known, I would have taken the pressure halter to the field, not the headcollar!

She was shouting for Charm, and Charm (the follower, nose to tail, I nearly didn't get the gate shut!) was shouting for her.

Molly went straight in the roundpen without any deviation into the stable (she wouldn't have settled) but still wasn't really listening to me so i left her there and went and got the pressure halter and 12 foot line.

another 10 minutes or so (i have to say i rather lost track of time!, might have been longer!) she was thinking about listening to me. gave herself a mild rope burn on the nose. By no means perfect, but she'd stopped thinking about Charm, at least and knew I was there!

Whether the weather had anything to do with it i wouldn't like to say - the wind started getting up as we got up this morning and by the time we went up to Gibside at about 11 the trees were all blowing about, and by the time we came back there were bits of trees on roads - so maybe, but the mare's field is very sheltered from it, in the lee of a hill (i'll take a photo one day so you can see - there was no wind in their field when I got her!)

some of it, as well, will have been "but you're taking me away from my new friends and I just met them" after her 2 weeks on her own - so once she gets the idea in her head that she goes back to them, she'll be fine, I expect (and hope!)

Anyway, it was far too windy in the arena to think about riding, and I was really pleased that I didn't even try! it would have been a cue to come off again, in the wrong way, I think! I don't need that sort of saddle time!

Saw a hare on the track on the way up to the field which I took a photo of on my phone, if it's come out I'll post it (I'm currently in the kitchen on the laptop.....don't ask!) - cropped from the original, I'm amazed it came out. he moved the next step i took!



and found a new saddler on the way back from gibside that has only been open 8 weeks - didn't buy new Toggi boots for only £79 as they were too narrow in the calf, couldn't get the zip done up. did buy a bartle sheepskin seatsaver that was supposed to fit the fhoenix - shopowner has ridden in one - but didn't really, the elastic was too tight, so that will go back....there was a very nice lightweight turnout that i would have had, only £30 but nothing left Molly's size. and a bag of feed I got. Partner rather regretted spotting it, she ended up sitting down waiting for me ....

Oh and a discussion about bits (shop promoting neue schule) and saddles (she's going to do WOW's with the local agent, whom I know and can fit a saddle)

the visit to gibside was to see a glass horse in the stables that they've just restored (stables are usual old fashioned fantastic, but stalls) and hopefully the photo of that has come out as well...but we had a nice walk as well, and had lunch (some good cooks work for the national trust!) and came back with some goodies... this is me looking at photos of the horses that were the subject of the sculpture...


a bit gobsmacked..... hadn't realised the photo was going to be taken!

4 comments:

Jean said...

Well now, don't you look serious in the photo. Guess they did catch you by surprise. Neat horse though.

Molly should settle down eventually. Separation anxiety usually goes away once, as you suggest, she knows she will be back in with her friends. Just be careful for a while until she settles out of it.

Well, you got to spend some money, at least. Too bad about the pad. Guess that means you will have to go back....h-m-m-m-m-m.

Nicola said...

Well your braver than me I couldnt find the inclination to do anything today in this weather..although the pen must really help matters!
My old farmer guy died last year lived in the farm above Gibside,he took himself off into a vault in the Chapel and shot himself:(
The funeral was at the Chapel it was really beautiful and moving when two jet black horse's carrying his coffin came trotting across the green towards us.
Its a gorgeous place ive rode around those woods lots of times..

cptrayes said...

isn't that glass sculpture fabulous! What price????

C

Claire said...

don't know caroline, but i have the artists business card so can give you her email address if you want - might have a website as well.... i would expect the small model will be even if the big one isn't....

i preferred the small one myself, i think!