Saturday, June 28, 2008

it took an hour

or thereabouts to get on.

After the first 10 "no i won't stand square and I will turn my bum away" i got the 12' line & pressure halter and took her up the other end of the arena, where she proceeded to have such a tantrum she forgot to put a foot down and ended up falling over.... a bit scary, but she didn't hurt herself and was perfectly fine so i carried on.

The process was, groundwork then to the block, won't stand, back to ground work, and so on.

She was taking the piss big time and using the fact that the mounting block is now in the corner as an excuse. think i'll have to get it moved (too heavy for one person to move) so that it's parallel to the fence but can be walked round ...

eventually, YO came and held her head.

After that, we got some lovely trot, nice walk, a few rein backs and a couple of circles (large and small) and I called it a day...

I wonder if she might be in season, though - VERY flirty going past YO's horses in their field ....so that won't be helping.




7 comments:

Jean said...

The standing to mount exercises are frustrating with her, but you really do need to stick with it until she learns who is boss. Also, don't take her far away from the block to do the ground execises. You need to be near it so she associates standing still and not working with the block. If you go to far away she will not make the association. Retraining bad habits is one of the hardest kinds of horse training to do.

Flirty girls do not pay attention too well. Maybe some hormonal herbs would help settle her again.

Claire said...

had to go to the other end, unfortunately, as at the time she started refusing to stand, YO had her youngster in the arena and was at that end....

cptrayes said...

I'm going to show my unenlightenment here. If she was mine, and all the nice methods had failed to get her to stand still, then when she moved away from the block when I wanted to get on, I would jump off the block and whack her once, hard, on the offside. And I'd repeat that exercise until she damned well stands still at the block! It's worked every time I've had one that won't stand at the block when given every chance to comply nicely. Surely she's taking the p*ss out of you Claire?

C

Nicola said...

Did you not try that thing Max was doing how impressive was that:)?!?!

We are all still pooped today got home at 1am then up at 6.30am to return box Ali was asleep in the field whenI got there today so we did absolutely nothing...I think he earned it!

Claire said...

caroline = of course she's taking the piss, but if I get to that stage I've lost it...

Nicola - I did try .... need to learn how that works, as it didn't!

I've asked about it on Max's forum, and happily have found i have some very dark and grainy footage of him starting that mare off.

Claire said...

can't get that lateral magic at all, nicola! doing something wrong

cptrayes said...

I know how you feel!

C