Sunday, August 03, 2008

i did - but wish I hadn't!!!

a bit of a disaster, finishing with us retiring!

anyway, got there early and plaited (posh, wot, can't remember the last time I plaited, should have taken a photo.....) she looked rather good and stood like a lamb for that.

tacked up and got changed....

the idea was, we'd warm up in the geldings field (they being all in!). I knew they were meant to be starting at 11 (nowt so posh as proper times) so got on at 11 and got her settled in the field and doing some nice walk, light and through; couldn't get a trot in their (not something we've been working on really....)

loads of people started arriving in cars, and a wagon (someone's friend, I think....) and that was unsettling ... then the local driving club came past which meant everyone had to stop and stare a bit (far enough away not to be problem, but close enough for us all to look at, if you see what i mean). Oh, and there were men there measuring up for some drainage work that's happening next week, as well....it was all go!

by 11 35 i didn't know what was happening and Molly was napping AWAY from the gate out of the field.... followed another through at the finish - frankly, i wish i'd stayed in there... or better still, not got on at all until it was time for test, and not warmed up either!

anyway, didn't actually get going until about 12. I got on outside the barn - mistake, nap away from teh arena. so i got off again and got on inside the arena (judge/writer etc. still not set up properly, so that didn't matter).

ring steward had set up table/chairs by the gate, between M & C, and picnic benches with spectators between C & H.

Anyway, started ... got trot, if fairly crap trot, and got down centre line and track left and 1/2 20 metre circle @ b, got the walk (not wonderfully, we were both tense!) and the change of rein H - B and then the stop at F (not the best stop/stand i've ever done, but done); walk on, trot half 20 metre circle round to just before E, walk, turn right, halt at X, walk on track left at B and then trot on - at that point, serious napping away from teh white table/chairs between M & C and she wasn't going to have any of it!

So I retired.

well hacked off.

i suppose it was her first ever, but i wasn't over happy.

I don't suppose I helped myself by not having any sticky bum beige breeches (damn saddle is very slippy ) and a jacket slightly too small....

but there we go, I tried

It will be interesting to see my sheet in due course (or not!).

i guess also i should have just ignored the trot and concentrated on a nice walk, as we've been doing some really nice walk, but I didn't.

I think what I will do is try it again, and keep trying it on my own (i actually only learnt it this morning! not a difficult test though...) and try again.

However, i did say I wanted to do a walk & trot test by August, so I can say I have done that.....

Then I fed molly and turned her out again (after I'd tacked up two other horses for people! YO ran out of time, rushing round doing everything).

and one young lady (about 10) did it led on YO's horse, and from what I could see did it quite nicely as well!

I was pleased I hadn't had partner come down and video.....

edited to add - just received text that I have a rosette!!!!!!!!!!

7 comments:

Jean said...

Hey, you did it!! The first time I tried to show Tucker, he started bucking about 3/4 of the way through the test and I had to finish up at a nappy little walk. He was a brat!! SO...been there, done that.

The messed up warmup and ride times did not help. Part of a good ride's success is having all that figured out just right so your horse is peaking as you enter the arena.

You should be pleased as anything to have accomplished a goal you set months ago. Way to go!!

The score sheet should be fun. Hopefully the comments will be useful. Keep smiling!! ;)

Oohh. And then there was the show when I couldn't get Toby to go down one of the long sides because there was some kind of "monster" plowing a field acres away. OR the time Tucker wouldn't go near the banners down at "A" or the time...well, I could go on forever. *G*

Claire said...

i know jean - but it was at home, and you know what it's like when you know you could have done better....

still, onwards and upwards!

Jean said...

A rosette! First show and a placing.

Don't feel bad about its being at home either. It was a show. Strange things happen no matter where you are at a show. Trust me. Happens all the time.

Did I ever tell you about my "duck deduction?" Had a mommy duck and her babies cross the arena during a test. PJ's head went up in a "What the H?" moment. Or then there was the cat crossing....or the time I saw a dog follow a rider through the whole test. Turns out it was her dog...test was virtually in her back yard.

Shows are not like normal riding.

Claire said...

i rather think the rosette will be for participating! and it will be interesting to see the sheet.

you're right, a show is always different! wherever it may be...

cptrayes said...

Good ,you did it. It gets easier from now on. Just keep on doing them and soon you'll finish one, and then do one you are actually pleased with.

Remember Jazz's first test - enter at A, at C leave the arena. Reenter the arena, trot around the arena, change rein and leave the arena between C and H and bolt back 200 yards to the warm-up.

You tired one. You survived. Well done!

C

Nicola said...

Yes shows are different regardless...I blumming forget what im meant to be doing with the dogs half the time and there's ALOT less to think about!

Polo was absolutely horrendous the first few shows we went to. I came home with blisters AND we werent even doing anything just riding around letting him get used to it all:)))

Claire said...

reading this back, i'm whinging too much - i suppose i expected more for being at home! thanks all!