Saturday, December 29, 2007

longlining

it used to be the case that getting out early got the best of the weather. I'm finding the opposite. Teemed down this morning (apparently kirstie & Julie were at the furthest away from the yard that they could be when the heavens opened and they got soaked....) so I longlined Molly this afternoon.

She was pretty good. Even managed to nearly stand still whilst I was putting the longlines on! and did some nice work

now, the way i longline is the way i was shown by Max - essentially, both lines through the stirrups (or, in this case today, the lowest rings on the roller!) and I stand in the middle and have Molly change direction around me. This interspersed with some walking round the outside.

But that, I was thinking as I was doing it, leads to different operation of the reins/bit aid to keep the circle, from that which I am taught to use when riding. I have to have little pressure on the outside rein, but ensure i keep her in the direction I want with the inside rein. I think that could create a bit of a conflict?

Still, it was good, she was starting to come balanced on the right rein (much as though she didn't want to go that way!) and was seeking the bit.

But oh, our arena is HARD on the broken foot and the leg muscles, it's SOOOO deep...

5 comments:

Jean said...

The outside rein is the absolute essential rein. All your riding and work should be off that rein, with the inside rein just establishing the bend and minimal "leading" in the direction you want to go.

No, it is not a conflict. That outside rein is the one that will put Molly down on the bit as well. Overbending or too much inside rein allows her to escape through the outside shoulder and simply evade using herself correctly.

When you long line you MAY have to use the inside rein a little more than when you ride because you do not have your leg as a supporting aid, but using both reins is not a conflict and should help Molly work more correctly.

Claire said...

thanks jean.

I think we just need work then. Again, on the right rein, i need to work harder to get the direction, and on either rein, i find that too much of outside rein results in a bit of a paddy....

well, practice makes perfect, they say. just a pity our arena is so deep, my foot hurts!

Anonymous said...

I must admit that I have never longreined in a circle before. I've always gone walk-a-bout after my beasties. It has never occurred to me to stand in the middle and have them go round me! *smacks forehead*

Ah well, I suppose that all that walking just makes me fitter.

Claire said...

have you got max's DVD? as shown on that.

but i do do straight lines as well! but last time i longlined out and about - well check out the end of may!

cptrayes said...

You'll get fit if you longline her from behind in a deep arena Claire! No need for gym membership fees :-)

C