Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A very good day!

and poor Molly worked really hard, and was really angry at various points that she had no option but push not pull! I'll put some nice screen grabs up in due course... possibly not tonight!

First, baucher flexions - which are completely not about force, and completely about warming up/stretching (a bit like, for an analogy, the warm up stretches an athlete would do before training/competing). She "got it" very quickly, albeit that, for her first time, she couldn't do a huge amount. but even with that, you could see an immediate change.

Then ridden - my asymmetries were addressed (having been viewed before we left my house!) and the knee blocks removed from the saddle. felt very odd at first, but the result was better and they won't be going back on any time soon. I could feel my seatbones for the first time in a good while, and I now know I should feel my thigh on the saddle....

then working round the arena on walk, back to the basics of very light feel with the fingers combined with very light push with the leg - and the half halt with the seat, not the hand!

By the end of this, we could see the muscle behind the saddle, her bum was a lot rounder, and you could see her neck muscles working (or at least, I could when i viewed the video later!)

After a rather good lunch at the local pub, back to work on lunging & longlining.
the new roller needs to have it's girth changed, as it's too short (caught behind the elbows! not good :-( - shall have to take it to local saddler for complete change to be able to use ordinary dressage girth with it. Had to stop earlier than would have wanted because of that. also, the new lunging cavesson is also too big and will have to be altered. drat.)

I was very impressed - molly WALKING on the lunge. the side reins were very long, effectively just to keep her straight, and provide something for her to work into, and in due course taken off. she could be seen to be using herself fully (particularly impressed to see her belly muscles rippling!), the neck muscles all working correctly, the dodgy leg coming through....totally different from the normal way we are taught!

and longlining - very good indeed! not pulling! and I think i finally know how to hold the whip whilst longlinging which I hadn't grasped before.

recommendation - lot of walk work per the above with the flexions for a few weeks, and not to try trot until Molly totally relaxed about it all (and, of course, until I am as well! and am sure about my feel!)

instructor -Jenny Franklin - was herself taught by Sylvia Stanier....and doesnt' live too far from you, caroline!

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

Yes, a very good day indeed.

Poor Molly, she really worked her little cottons socks off today.

Mind you, Claire was working just as hard.

Thank you for a very intructional and entertaining day :)

Jean said...

Molly may be a bit muscle sore tomorrow. Give her the benefit of the doubt if she is.

The sessions sound great. It's good to hear she worked so well.

Too bad about the new tack but I've had similar problems with lunging equipment. I have a surcingle in the barn I haven't been able to use yet because the girth is the wrong size. Fortunately, he new one I got seems to fit everyone. I'm sure you'll get yours all sorted out.

cptrayes said...

Who is Sylvia Stanier?

C

Stephanie said...

She is a classical dressage trainer/ instructor.

A very inspiring lady.

Claire said...

wrtoe

The Art of Lungeing
The Art of Long Reining

both of which are regularly recommended by many people as books on those subjects

and

The Art of Schooling for Dressage

and Mrs Houblon's Side Saddle

all available on Amazon.

She is still alive, we are told, and still doing the odd clinic we gathered!

Stephanie said...

I would love to go to one of her clinics. I think that it would be incredibly interesting and enjoyable ... and also perhaps a little bit terrifying!

Claire said...

i think you're right there steph, on all counts (if one isn't allowed to get in a muddle with the knitting when learning ...)but I've never seen on publicised, have you?