Sunday, July 06, 2008

horse eating jacket....

got her in, she was very good - first time since change of yard she's stood stil throughout the grooming (just as well, load of mud to get off!). AND did all 4 feet.

about 10 minutes ground work before i got on, by which time she was prepared to stand, as she was listening to me...

got on, and decided it had got far too warm. so took the jacket off and dropped in on a jump wing against the fence.

it turned into a bit of a frightener but nothing too horrid and after acouple of passes she was prepared to touch it so that was fine and then I was able to pick my stick up from the top of the fence.

the only plan for today was to try and work her through to be soft and get that jaw unstuck.

after about 20 minutes or so i think we were starting to get there.

YO arrived with some others including her OH, work started for them in terms of stuff they're doing to the place involvling drilling....

i'm coming down the arena towards the jacket and jeff's drilling ... next thing I know, she's whipped round the other way and i'm losing my balance to her right. i couldn't get it back and came off with my left leg still in the stirrup - thank goodness I'd realised my short boots are too wide and had mylong ones on - my left foot didn't come out of the stirrup until AFTER i'd hit the deck on my right shoulder.....

bawled for people, got up, caught the horse, helen held her whilst i got back on, trotted round a couple of circuits - not the best trot in the world as she was obviously a bit tense and the saddle was slightly slipped, but i didn't much care so long as we did it.

thought at first it was jeff drilling - but it wasn't - realised that when i'd picked myself up my jacket was no longer on the jump wing, so we reckon it was in fact the jacket falling that had spooked her.

but at least i was able to get back on, unlike last time - and thank goodness i didn't break anything, that would have not done our holiday much good (partner would have been well hacked off indeed, as we're horse sitting as well as house sitting!)

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Oh No!

Hope that nothing is too bruised!

Have you been downing the arnica? Better start doing that now if you haven't.

Hope that you have a nice relaxing holiday :)

*promises that I'll measure Tada before you leave*

Claire said...

i was thinking, why do you need to measure tada, and then remembered, for the correct size of roller. Hope they still have them! and you can always text me, you have my mobile!

did you get my email about the 23rd?

Jean said...

Oh, my!! I am so glad your foot came out safely. That would have been really awful.

Moments like this remind us just how dangerous horses/riding can be. Molly must have had quite a fright first to have spooked and then to have realized you had gone off.

So glad you are OK, although perhaps the arnica might be a good idea. The soreness doesn't always set in right away. At least you have a holiday to recover and relax.

cptrayes said...

Are you still OK, not too much stiffness coming out???
C