Tuesday, August 22, 2006

sligly better lunging

in that i had much less trouble getting the side reins on and she worked really nicely left rein. she was reaching for the contact (I'd deliberately decided on a relatively loose setting for the side reins, specifically with that purpose in mind.) and she was really tracking up a lot of the time.

but right rein? can't get there, and the way my foot is still hurting i am really limited. so I decided not to have the argument, and instead loose schooled right rein.

interestingly, where she was reaching for the contact on the lunge on the left, she wasn't even trying loose on the right. so i need the side reins tighter that way.

in the meantime, gaynor has written up her view. the only thing I would add is that we have had issues with that route in the past, as there is a huge log that she really doesn't like and with only a relatively narrow gap to get through. I woulnd't necessarily have chosen to take her that way having got her that far ...


FURTHER TO WHAT CLARE HAS ADVISED - ON SUNDAY AS CLARE MENTIONED I DECIDED TO BACK MOLLY - SHE WAS QUITE JUMPY, SPINNING AROUND DOING SMALL REARS, THOUGHT SHE WAS JUST ACTING UP SO REMAINED IN HER BACK( THE SITUATION WAS NO BOTHERING ME) ONCE I EVENTUALLY GOT HER OFF THE YARD I HEADED TO A TRACK BESIDE THE GELDING FIELD, WHICH SHE KNOWS AND HAS BEEN ALONG MANY TIMES. THIS TIME SHE FROZE, STARTED SPINNING THEN WENT STRAIGHT UP ON HER BACK LEGS, FULL REAR, SHE CAME DOWN AND I GAVE HER A TAP WITH MY CROP, AGAIN SHE WENT STRAIGHT UP ON HER BACK LEGS, CAME DOWN THEN PROCEEDED TO RUN THROUGH A THORNED BUSH, STOPPING AS SHE COULD NOT GET THROUGH TRIED TO GO THROUGH BACKWARDS... SHE THEN FROZE - AT THIS POINT IT FELT SURREAL - EVERYTHING WENT QUITE, SHE DID NOT MOVE, NOT A MUSCLE, IT WAS AS IF SHE WENT COMPLETELY BLANK, AT THAT POINT I HAD NO IDEA WHAT WAS GOING THROUGH HER MIND SO I DISMOUNTED AND WALKED HER BACK TO HER STABLE - IN MY 30 YEARS OF RIDING I HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCED THAT FEELING, I JUST DID NOT HAVE A CLUE WHAT WAS GOING THROUGH HER MIND

No comments: