Wednesday, June 20, 2007

5 minutes work

my legs/feet were hugely better, i could get my boots on without everything feeling all horrid, so i did 5 minutes in the arena with her. Her leg doesn't look as though it's going to be busting open again, so I decided the concerns about possibly getting arena in the wound are over.

she was a bit gobsmacked.

we seemed to remember what we needed to remember.

BUT the one thing we can't get yet is stand still so i can get the tack sorted out BEFORE we work.... she'd behaved herself with max in that context, as she wasn't in teh arena, she was in a field she hadn't been in before.... mmm.

andyway, i was pleased, left right, backwards.

i need to work on my technique, but she was doing what i wanted and when she didn't i got her to do it.

but I do think our arena is going to be a tad small for longreining....for that you really want your circles larger than the 12' rope will allow, but widthwise, that's about all there is....

1 comment:

Jean said...

That is small. I have a regulation width dressage arena...a little wider in some spots, not exactly scientifically measured--and it's really good for long lining. My lines are 15' long and I do a lot on the circle.

Ideal is a round pen. You can to tons of stuff and not lose the horse the way you can in a retangular ring. It takes a master to do it out in the open with a "questionable" horse. I'd do it in a minute with Toby, but I'd be a little more wary with Tucker.

Take your time with the leg. Don't over do. It sound so much better, though. Good to hear.