Thursday, March 22, 2007

vaguley disappointing

and not just because i was not well and probably shouldn't have been there (turned out partner could have had a colleague have the ticket .... )

the singing was of course excellent.

but it was a proscenium stage, so flat, and even with the tv cameras projecting the stage onto tv's either side, there was not one close up of her. close ups of everyone else, but not of her. now why would that be?

and she does talk a lot. she quoted a review from manchester the night before, the reviewer had said she talks too much. hello, she does. I dunno, if I go to hear dolly sing, that's what i want to here.

we got jolene, 9 - 5, little sparrow, coat of many colours, like that, plus some covers of some 60's stuff (Those were the days, my friend, amongst them! which got us all singing along of course!)

even partner is now prepared to concede vague dissatisfaction.

but hey, for a never to be repeated event..

the silly thing was, we had an excellent sightline to the stage. but guess who forgot binoculars. duh.

edited to add: whilst I knew she was wearing white the first half, I could only see what it was etc. when reading tonight's paper ...

2 comments:

James said...

Yes I always imagined Dolly to be a talker. I guess that is part of her Southern charm but when you want the music it could be very annoying for you. I have heard the same about Barbara Streisand. I hope you could make the best of it.
James

Jean said...

Is Dolly showing her age? Maybe that's why she had no closeups??? Talking may give her singing voice a rest too, hard to say. I've never seen her in concert so I don't know what her style is.

Still, if she did some of your favorites and you enjoyed them, it was a grand night. There is nothing quite like seeing one of your favorite stars in person, especially if it was a "once in a lifetime" opportunity. Half the fun of an event like that is just being there when it happened.

Hope you are feeling better.