Saturday, March 31, 2007

slippy saddle

i don't know why i believed the agent when she said the butt leather wasn't that slippy. it is - and today proved it. we went out to go down the park and then round. to get down the park you go through a gate and down a steep hill.... i really felt as though i was going to slip off! not assisted by molly not wanting to go the way i pointed her. to be fair to her, her feet are a shade soft after the winter and she didn't want to be on the track .. but oh, it was horrid.

anyway, the plan is (in addition to the kerrit's, jean! ) to take the saddle, and the old seat saver off my gp as a pattern, to a leather man on the westgate road (bike leathers, but does loads of other stuff as well) and get him to make me one up to fit. friend says he's very good and very cheap. i really don't want a HM one, as i think there's enough cushion under me with the saddle!

and it's worming weekend - they all have to be in from 10am this morning until monday morning. hoping i can then get molly out 24/7 ....

4 comments:

Jean said...

I plan on going to the tack store later today. There is some stuff sold here in the US called Sadl-tite that helps slippery saddle leather. Do you have that there?

A suede seatsaver would be a good idea.

Ironically, I bought my Ansur deliberately without the suede because I didn't want to stick too much. Wonder if the leather is different, because I don't slip around at all.

Claire said...

it may be the leather is different, i don't know, it's supposed to be ordinary butt leather such as saddles are generally made of. mind, i rode my old gp with a suede seatsaver for years and years, and the cheyenne is nubuck which is also pretty non slip, so i guess i've been spoilt!

what i don't want is one of heather's seatbone savers - i think there's enough memory foam there now not to need that as well!

anyway, if the man does a good job there may be a marketing opportunity there LOL.

and he could make me a sheepskin one for winter as well, that would be cool! (warm, rather!)

Claire said...

sadl-tite - i'd not heard of it so put it in google and came up with this:

http://www.sadl-tite.co.uk/

uk site! £10 a tub.

is it good? have you tried it?

Jean said...

It does help. I used to use it on my saddle panels to help me keep my leg steady.