Sunday, February 11, 2007

the weather relented

teemed down all day yesterday, but stopped today and was sunny this afternoon.

and I got sitting trot. I wasn't trying for sitting trot, but found myself doing it, and i could momentarily feel my seat bones moving with the horse and i definitely wasn't bouncing. YAY. that's the first time ever.

apart from that, I was again thinking about my position, but added in some attempts at getting molly to move her quarters away from the leg (i.e., aiming for turn on the forehand) just sitting, putting the o/s leg on and her head slightly flexed to the inside. at the start i had to bend her more but we were getting there and you could certainly feel the improvement underneath me as well.

was on her for an hour, but not just trotting round and working a sweat up. lots of walk, small circles, then some trot to try and get the slow low rise (still not got it on the horse, even if i can get it on the equisimulator, but getting there....)

i need to start working on sitting straight again, i can feel myself leaning forwards which of course i shouldn't be..

must get a balance strap sorted out on the front of the saddle, that'll help me loads

but i was very pleased with both of us.

and having got richard maxwell's dvd running (had to clean my dvd player ....) learnt an awful lot about in hand work, not just the rope circling with training halter ... better in many ways that the one that's generally recommended, richard hinrichs (which i bought a few months ago); i can see the start better if you see what i mean.

hopefully the weather will stay fine this week; i think for now my plan is ground work in whatever form after work, and riding at the weekend..

1 comment:

Jean said...

Good for you with the sitting trot! Once you get the hang of it you will find it becomes easier.

If Molly rounds nicely and uses her back, the trot is even easier to sit.

Just remember TTT...Things Take Time. Sounds as if you are making grand progress on many fronts. I admire your determination.