Saturday, April 26, 2008

what a good girl!

Was very pleased with Molly. As i'd hoped, I did go ride this morning with the others. She was impatient to be off whilst Julie mounted, but settled; led the way down to the 20 acre no problem and was about 500 yards ahead of the others till more than 1/2 way round that, which was really good - normally, even in company, she stops at the half way point as there's a log and a (not very) narrower gap - when she did stop, once the others caught up, she was happy to walk on again (i should say Molly has a really good striding out walk! on all previous horses I'd be always trotting to catch up! it might be riding as well though..)

anyway, paul at this point said he really doesn't understand why i can't get out on my own when she's miles ahead in company - julie & I both reckon its still a confidence thing...

when we got to the end of the 20 acre i nearly lost my knee on the (narrow) gate and then of course she did think about giving battle on the left or right decision - left is home. but didn't - i insisted right was the way and she thought oh, go on then, follow the others.

Normally then she'll have a bit of an argument as we go through the gate, but she stayed chilled.

then right round 2 huge fiels - you go along the bottom, through an always open gate, to the next one, then left up the fence/wood line, then left at the top, through a narrow gate (this time we got lined up for it properly!) and then left down the hill to where we first came in

good as gold, save for one stop along the bottom, one stop going up and one stop going down. The stop along the bottom was caused by her clocking two horses coming the other way, she hadn't realised they were there i don't think and it certainly looked like we'd meet at the gateless gap. I think the stop going up was caused by the echo of my voice off the wood in front of us (it's quite dense) and don't know about the one going down.

after the ford/bridge again (she wasn't doing the ford today, she said) i carried on along the track whilst the others went for a canter

Do you know, I haven't cantered since June 2006, when i broke my foot?

really need to do that again, it's as if we've forgotten how - and TBH I'm not totally sure of my balance and thus am scared to do it again in case...

Think I need to do it out, not in the arena. As I've said, that arena is too small..Also, think i need to do that with only one other horse out with me, to avoid the possibility of races...

But I was very very pleased with her. she didn't get her stress head on once.

We were in the Myler combi of course.

and then i got really posh and cleaned her saddle whilst she was eating...

3 comments:

cptrayes said...

I'm so pleased for you that you enjoyed yourself today, it's what it should be all about :-)

C

Claire said...

yup. hopefully we'll have a good summer....

Jean said...

Fantastic. Seems like a really good day. Nothing like a good ride to make a person happy.