Sunday, April 20, 2008

at last

was able to do something with Molly today. Actually was able to get on without any ground work (just a Polo) - 3 times, which is impressive.

First time - she wasn't listening to me and wanted to go to the track down to the 20 acre, but she was seriously on her toes and didn't mean that she wanted to do that (I can tell, by now....). anyway, that wasn't what I wanted to do, so we didnt' do it.

Led her back to the mounting block got back on and she did go where I wanted, which was into the arena so see what if anything we'd remembered.

she was doing quite well. came soft a lot quicker and i decided to see about trot, which I haven't done (deliberately) for a good while.

I had a habit of preventing the transition by tensing, so the object was just to get trot, whether sitting or rising (the latter for preference) on the correct diagonal and not rushing, which we managed a few times, also a circle - I'm doing something a bit wrong circling, as if I push her round with my outside leg we end up rushing, which isn't wanted.

We're not assisted by the fact that the arena needs harrowing - sides higher than they should be which is unbalancing...

a few times over the poles i'd set out (in walk...)

anyway, then decided to try to go through the yard. She didn't want to do that. i though, back to the arena to get her settled - she didn't want to do that either.

so we got off and back on again....

Paul volunteered to walk in front and see if she'd follow, but she ended up with her stress head on when I got under the willow. eventually got off and led her up the track a bit to where there's some rocks and stuff been left that can be used to mount. got back on, but she wasn't having any.

Now explain this to me - at this point, I can - if I'm pointing the direction I don't want to go - get her jaw soft, she comes soft and round and you'd think she was listening - but as soon as i try to turn, everything tenses up, jaw, neck, body - head tossing, de da...

ah well. At least I got on 4 times!

Oh, and I tried flexing the bit a little before i got on.... the first time.

then came home and planted potatoes... probably too late in the day but it needed doing or there was no point in buying them.

Experiment - some just in holes (hole per potato) some in a trench to cover over as they grow, and some in a trench covered over now...

When it all warms up i've got onion sets to go in, garlic cloves to plant, pea seeds, and want to get some lollo rosso plugs (easier to grow stuff from plugs than from seed...)

3 comments:

cptrayes said...

"Now explain this to me - at this point, I can - if I'm pointing the direction I don't want to go - get her jaw soft, she comes soft and round and you'd think she was listening - but as soon as i try to turn, everything tenses up, jaw, neck, body - head tossing, de da..."

She behaves when she's getting what she wants. Not the point Molly!!!!


C

cptrayes said...

Well done with the mounting though!

C

Jean said...

Miss Molly cooperates when she thinks she is having her own way, I think. It's going to take an effort to develop a better ethic in her.

In the circling, think "inside leg to outside rein." Instead of bringing her around with your outside leg, create a "turning wall" with the outside rein, then think of pushing her inside hind leg forward towards that rein. Slight flexion on the inside rein creates the bend and the outside rein keeps the inside hind leg from escaping to the outside and hold the shoulder in place. She should come around the circle for you then.

Good job with the mounting. You may have the problem conquered at last.