Sunday, March 30, 2008

standing and sharing and snoozling...

This was first thing this morning - I'd tied molly up with a haynet whilst I mucked out, and blake decided to share (even though he had one of his own!). neither of them were bothered!

and this was taken by Kirstie, blake's owner, some time later, before she went home herself - always amazes me how good a photo you can get on a mobile!
Anyway, a visit to Queenie in Allendale via the tack shop in hexham (which produced a pair of caldene sticky bum jod's, half price (£19.99) pleased with them!

Queenie had a very nasty cut on her foot....not sure how well the photo of that has worked, it was a bit dark in the stable - but lucky not to take her entire foot off. But looked ok, sound on it, will see how it goes. she'll have to be on box rest until it heals a lot more than it is.then via Ikea to buy stool to use as mounting block (£7.50) which I built after i finally got to the yard again about 4. the weather by then was glorious!

And Molly? up to the mounting block, stood like a lamb! very good. and picked all her feet out without a debate as well! She wasn't so good after I got on, but I think that was my fault, i didn't feel quite square. at one point I put my full weight on that left foot and it hurt, so I guess i'm right in supposing i'm favouring it when riding. we had a lot of rattling the bit about, and unsettled head, and waving it around a bit, interspersed with some nice work when she did round under me. We did a little bit of trot as well - it was at this point I realised how much i was favouring that left foot!

So given that we now have light nights, might start the odd small hack out with Julie on Susie if the weather's ok as well.....but at the least sign of her going back to her old ways for mounting, it's back in the arena! if I go on a hack, I can't keep Julie waiting whilst I do 10 minutes or so ground work as well....don't think that would be fair!


6 comments:

cptrayes said...

I've watched the mounting videos - interesting. If she was mine I would yank her in the teeth the moment that she starts to move - long before she starts to swing her bum out. She's a bolshy mare isn't she? You can see by how obstructive she is to Natasha trying to move her. I hope the progress continues.

The photo of her lying in the stable is interesting. They sell stable mats saying you don't need bedding for them to lie on, only a smattering to soak up wee. But if you give them a bed in only part of the stable, as she has there, that's where they lie. For that reason, I couldn't keep a horse on mats with no bed, as a friend of mine does :-(

C

C.

Claire said...

mats with no bed would be totally disgusting! Bad enough as it is ... she gets a bag a week or thereabouts, and there's a drain the corner of the stable so it's not horrid! but more is too much, with the matting down. it's a lot easier and quicker to muck out like this!

Claire said...

oh, and yes, she's a bolshy b! good as gold i nthe stable, can work round her no problem if i need to

Jean said...

They always look so cute and innocent when they are snoozing. *G*

Keep up the work with the mounting. She must learn to respect your aids on the ground as well as under saddle.

I have mats in all the stalls and, if I keep a horse in I use full bedding. Right now there isn't much because the Boys are in and out at will.

Nicola said...

Strange Caroline the supplier of our mats reckoned using one third of the usual shavings is the ideal,I have the interlocking mats.My friend only used to put a sprinkling down but hosed her stable out every day.Her mare was pretty dirty and didnt lie down so that seemed to work for her although it wouldnt be for me.
I tend to use a bag every week or two if Polo is in over night and this gives a decent bed..although im lucky as he doesnt pee in his stable:)

cptrayes said...

I used to have half a bed in the back third of the stable and I found it so much easier than a full bed with no mats. I'm a fan of mats, just not mats with no bed at all. It's so obvious that they like a bed to lie on.

C