Sunday, March 23, 2008

finally got on!

after how many days? Mind, i rather wished i hadn't - or rather, I'd wished I'd gone down in the morning, the weather was better! Managed to miss the actual snow, but the wind had got up again so my hands froze before we'd done the first half hour, and I had to get off as i was then too cold to do anything! Had got a bit of sideways, which pleased me!

I lengthened my stirrups by one hole, which i'd been wanting to do for a long time. It is better- at least, in walk it is! - my legs felt more draped and more effective and I felt more able to use less leg, if you see what i mean. so even though it was short and cold, i learnt something. Oh and I did get one moment of "up" with lightness as well! which was a first, usually it's "up" with a set jaw! hopefully i can repeat that when the weather's better!

but I wish she'd stand to be mounted...she will insist on turning quarters away, and she knows what she's doing, and there's nothing i seem to be able to do about it! get her so far to the block, and she turns away... depressing. One of the chaps insists i can do it, but the trouble is when he comes over then she stands - she always does when someone comes to her head. I'm sure i'ts just badness....well, not totally, but she knows what she's doing!

partner promised to come and video the exercise one day - i'll hold her to that one on one warmer day! someone might be able to think of something that might be persuading the moo to do this...

Natasha thinks I should aim to do a walk/trot test by august. I think, that's probably a good idea, as it gives me a goal to work to ....

5 comments:

cptrayes said...

The last thing you want with a horse that will not stand to be mounted is a saddle that slips. My experience of Heather's treeless is that they slip like crazy! Otherwise, I'd say you need to stand in the one stirrup until she stops moving before you swing your leg over.

C

Jean said...

Ms. Molly does have her opinions, doesn't she. Don't blame you for being annoyed about the mounting problems. I'm not agile enough to get on a moving horse myself, though I've seen some riders who are.

What nasty weather you guys are having. I was wearing a lightweight jacket today myself. Wish I could send you some of our weather!

Nicola said...

Ali will still move his quarters out if I dont line him up alongside the block with my whip laid along him.Luckily he hasnt taken it any further cos I definately wouldnt have your patience!

Claire said...

caroline, you misunderstand - we don't get as far as foot in stirrup, the quarters go round away from me before I can get that far - lead her up, get her that extra step forward so she's at the point where i can put my foot in the stirrup, and the quarters go round before i can get my foot anywhere near. the saddle doesn't slip when i do get on (whether someone holds it or not).

i would be lucky to get the opportunity to get on a moving horse.... in this context!

when i get it video'd i'll put it up so you all can see what i mean....

cptrayes said...

To be honest Claire she sounds like a right witch. I'd have thumped her by now!

C.