Sunday, January 28, 2007

um ...

think i possibly need to be hacking out more.

it was too windy at the start. gaynor & i decided to go in the arena. that wasn't easy ... it's quite a small arena and i wanted to carry on getting used to the saddle/getting my position right in walk trot, whilst gaynor just wanted to do what she was doing (which involved lots of canter circles on both reins....).. I stopped to put my stirrups up a hole. I'm using my ordinary leathers but with the buckle at the bottom, and the buckle dug into my shin on one side. But I did start to get the trot better. then we decided to go for a short potter out, with a littel bit of trot. and my rising trot was somehow a lot better out than it had been in. that's why i think maybe i need to be hacking out. but madam molly decided to whip round before we got to where we were going (only the ford; the bend just before it she often takes exception to) and i wasn't expecting that as she normally will just follow on.... didn't come off, but didn't do me a lot of good. so we trotted back with me concentrating on slowing the rise and trying to get her to trot properly instead of the sewing machine trot she does when she's trying to rush back..

hoo, that was a long paragraph.

And I must see if i can get the yorkshire agent to come up; think i need some adjustments in teh shimming department (and i can't see where they go) (or possibly the other panels which haven't arrived yet but are promised soon). I'm seeing her saturday, so will ask then... decided that's a better plan than a phone call..

1 comment:

Jean said...

The rising trot is a lot easier if the horse is going forward on its own. I suspect Molly likes being out enough to want to go...well at least she wants to go in the direction she chooses. I hate those "whip arounds." Even when you do sit them out, they can jar your back.

Keep thinking--"Spring is on its way, spring is on its way." Sooner or later, it will be nice enough to ride outside regularly.